Saturday 30 October 2010

The Cobb - Lyme Regis

There was an almost deafening whistling sound as the south-westerly wind howled through the masts of the moored boats to my right. The waves crashed with a loud bass note as they made contact with the old harbour wall, followed by the glistening sound of the sea spray as it attempted to demolish any camera equipment that got in its way.













After a few long exposures looking east towards the Dorset border, I gave up hope of there being any other colour than the cool blue light of dusk, as the sun began to dip below the horizon. I turned around and decided to take a shot of The Cobb towards the un-impressive sunset in the distance. In a matter of seconds the sky turned from cool blue to a fire- like red and illuminated the entire landscape like a red flare on the battlefield. The walkers around me just stopped and stared in awe at what they were seeing, so blown away in fact they decided to gaze gormlessly up at the sky directly in front of my camera. I did not intend to miss this moment as I probably would have given up photography then and there and I guided the gormless old couple behind my camera and began taking the shot.










I had to change lenses and filters twice as the sea spray covered my first lens, I wasn't going to miss this shot!
After taking the shot, the preview screen from my camera illuminated the people's faces who huddled behind my tripod and all we could say was....Wow!

P.S There has been no computer manipulation in this shot.... I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment