Thursday 29 September 2011


At 5 o'clock I hit the road to Corfe Castle. There is almost always some sort of issue before my dawn shoots. I am rarely prepared because I genuinely roll up in the covers the night before convinced I will be too lazy to get up in the morning at 5am.

However, this morning, the sound of what seemed to be a screaming child resonated around the room forcing me to get out of bed. Thank you Mr. Fox.

How do I know if the weather is going to be good?

It is vital to look at the weather forecast. You do not want to plan for mist and get there only to find it is raining. Hot days and clear, cold nights are ideal conditions for mist. I checked the weather outside and on-line before setting the alarm for the following morning. The weather forecast is usually fairly accurate 24 hours in advance, if you check any earlier, the weather will probably have changed so check it as late as you can.

How will I know where the best shot will be?

Scout out your location before heading out. I knew exactly where I was going to place myself on the hill before I took this shot. Heading out to a new location and trying to find a composition there and then is going to make you rush and in turn your shot will look rushed.

Be there before sun-rise. I walked up the hill to take this shot 45 minutes before sunrise. I knew that when the sun rose I would be looking straight into it, causing camera flare issues so I wanted to take a photo before the sun had fully risen.


Corfe Castle - How I took the shot.

This was literally the first shot I took of the day. I was there for a further two hours but this was the best shot. I arrived as the mist swirled around the castle and the village. The reds and oranges were already appearing on the horizon, increasing in their intensity every second. The colour arrives first before the sun rises, so it is important to get into place before the sunrise time.

My camera's white balance is set to daylight, not AWB (auto). I am in Manual mode. Usually I work in Aperture-priority mode but when creating a panoramic from 3 photographs stitched together you must have the same exposure for all shots before merging them in Photoshop.


For Camera Geeks:

Lens: EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Shutter-speed: 30secs

Aperture: f/11

Iso: 50

No comments:

Post a Comment