Thursday 17 November 2011

Passers-by - London


When scouting out for my London Workshops which take place in February next year, I noticed this homeless man right in the middle of the path. This view of St. Pauls is not a unique one. I often see photographers with their tripods in this position. However, this homeless man with his dog transformed the scene from a landscape photograph into a portrait. I initially attempted to use a long shutter-speed of 30 seconds but noticed it was completely completely blur! Apparently Millennium Bridge is constantly moving plus the passing footsteps jolted my tripod as they walked passed. So I opted for a slower shutter-speed to keep everything sharper. I also knew that these relatively slower shutter-speeds would blur the commuters as they move past me. I had to take a few shots as the man and his dog moved in some exposures. Eventually the shot came together when the man and his dog remained stationary momentarily and the sudden influx of commuters brought more drama to the image. Can you have a portrait photographs and not show their face?  I think you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment